Want to add a comment?

Inspirational Jewelry, Gifts and Gab

Monday, December 1, 2008

Imagining the Worst


I recently saw an article about the benefits of not worrying. Not worrying has been something I've worried about for several years. I spent many, many years in knots over money, relationships, pregnancy, interior decorating, siblings,  unemployment and more. I had entire conversations with myself about how terrible things were and how they were bound to spiral into catastrophic depths. I imagined bankruptcy, death, firestorms and irreversible choices of kitchen paint colors. I would talk myself into any disaster. 

Finally, about two years ago, I read Eckhart Tolle's "A New Earth." One thing Tolle said that really stuck in my brain was that in essence, what you imagine is usually worse that what will actually happen. Imagine that! I spent hours using energy, creating stress and feeling bad about events that hadn't happened, and probably never would. What a waste of time! 

Time is what it took to retrain my brain. Shutting off those bad thoughts was a great effort, and continues to be. However, without a doubt, I feel freer. A weight has been lifted. The weight of worry. My mom always said "things usually work out for the best." Of course, she was right. Moms always are.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love comments. Please leave one! It's easy to do and appreciated.